I'm finally getting around to sharing with you the three hats I recently knit, two pixie caps and a cable hat. I made the pixie caps for the two youngest Littles for Christmas. The first one, for Little #10, was the first knitting project I tackled using a pattern. I was pleased with it, despite the mistakes. Since the pattern I used was for 6-12 months, I went up one size on the needles, hoping that would create the size hat I wanted. The hats ended up being a bit too roomy around the face, but knowing that babies always grow (too quickly , in my opinion), I didn't really mind. Maybe we will get another year (or two) out of them. Since knitting them, though, I have learned a great deal more about gauge and tension and I think I may get more positive results if I try knitting this hat again.
The third hat was supposed to be for me, a Cable Up hat. This one, despite having gotten my gauge correct, ended up too small for me. Actually, I'm not sure if I just don't like the fit or if it really is too small, but it fits Little #9 wonderfully, and she loves it. She only takes it off to go to bed at night. So, this mama still does not have a hat of her own, but I do have plans to make another, maybe this Jane hat. I think I may like the slouchy fit of it better. I love the distinct cables on the Cable Up hat, but the fit may just be a bit too fitted for my liking.
I enjoyed knitting all three hats, and I learned a little more about knitting with each one. So, even though they did not turn out exactly as I had intended, I'm happy with what I have learned; sometimes the best teacher is trial and error. It's been fun, though, and I look forward to the many more projects that lie ahead.