Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

April 2, 2014

Thrifted Treasure








It has been quite a while, months I think, since I shared a "thrifted treasure" post.  In an effort to simplify our home, I have worked hard at staying away from thrift stores, only going in when I am looking for something we need.  It hasn't been easy. I have so much fun poking around the dusty old shops in search of treasure, but, I must say, it's also refreshing to rid the house of unwanted/unnecessary items and enjoy the free space that is left after decluttering.  My youngest boys, however, were in need of a few articles of clothing, so I stopped in a local thrift store the other day while the older girls were at their piano lessons.  I did not find what I was looking for in the way of clothing, but I did stumble upon a box of dishes for $8. Although I hadn't gone in looking for dishes, I had to stop and inspect the contents of that particular box...dinner plates, dessert plates, cups, saucers, and bowls, twelve of each, all in a simple white pattern very similar to the few ironstone pieces that I have collected. Our dish supply was getting a bit low, and we needed more plates and bowls for quite some time. Whenever we have soup for dinner, we are always scrambling to find enough bowls for everyone.  This was "necessary" treasure...$8 for an entire set of dishes in just the right color and pattern, and now we would have enough bowls for soup night.  It was rather fun washing my newly found treasure, wiping down my kitchen shelves, and replacing the old mismatched dishes with the lovely "new" set.

10 comments:

  1. I am glad it is not just me who has to stay away from this kind of shop. I am sure we buy as much as we pass on, not really decluttering at all!

    What a perfect find you made tho'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find!!!! They are beautiful. Use them in good health!! xoxo

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at Love In the Name of Christ (used/thrift store) and I'm always tempted to purchase all the neat things we carry there. I love your find and what a great price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look perfect! I should do a bit more staying away from those shops, but it's hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that is treasure indeed! All that crockery, in such good condition, for only $8? You had to buy it. And it looks so pretty on your white shelves. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing find. I love when old things have a new lease of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to have come across your blog ..( The type of one that I love..) Your dishes look awesome in your cupboard..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...