Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

April 7, 2014

Weekend Puttering


photo taken by my daughter
photo taken by my daughter









photo taken by my daughter

Although the weekend began in a rather dismal way, waking to yet more snow...yes, more snow (only a few inches, but, nevertheless, snow), the sky soon cleared, and Sunday turned out to be bright and sunny. We still have a ways to go, but spring may be starting to find its way to our corner of New England.  The temperatures are climbing, and the air feels a bit more seasonable; the mountains of snow are slowly melting, and tiny spots of ground are peeking through here and there. There has been the occasional sighting of a robin, and twittering birds can now be heard in the early morning hours.  Hopefully this spring-like pattern is here to stay.

With melting snow, water, and mud everywhere, we are forced to spend much of our time indoors. The Littles go out for a bit, but return rather quickly with soaked pants, coats and mittens, resulting in the never ending washing and drying of wet, muddy clothing. So in spite of spring-like weather, our weekend was spent puttering around inside.  A few open windows and a pretty bouquet of fresh daisies helped bring a breath of spring into the house.

Little #4 celebrated his eleventh birthday over the weekend, so he and his brother locked themselves in their bedroom with new Legos; we only saw them when it was time for a meal or when Hubby asked for a bit of help with farm chores on Saturday.  A quick browse through the clearance isle resulted in some crafting supplies and a new game which helped entertain most of the others. 

I did a bit of this and that.  I organized my closet, a job that I wanted to do since reading Clutterfree with Kids.  The author suggests the challenge of downsizing to 33 items of clothing, not including pajamas and workout clothes. I didn't minimize to quite that small of a number, but I did free my closet and drawers of many unused items.  He also mentioned sticking to a few colors, and I found that I already have naturally done that.  I lean towards greys, blues, browns and plum with a splash of color coming from scarves.   Having cleaned my closet has now motivated me to sew a few items for myself.  I have a few pieces of linen that I want to sew into spring tunics and dresses and maybe a few tops. I'm looking forward to getting started, but I had to first finish up a few gifts for Little #6 who will be celebrating a birthday this week.  I have had such fun with her gifts and can't wait to share the finished items with you.

Track and field starts for two of my Littles today, so that that will add an element of excitement and spring-like activity. It does mean less time for puttering and sewing projects for mysef, but I'm okay with that. I am ready for this transition into the next season.



5 comments:

  1. Some fresh flowers are always good for a pick-me-up! My husband just dropped some off for me in the middle of this wet and dreary day - he is a good guy. Your little rabbit and sweater looks adorable - can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You ordered one of Alicia Paulsen's rabbits! I haven't yet, but they're just beautiful - I just know I wouldn't get to it yet. It looks like you're completing a lot! My #4 turns 11 on the 15th. I find myself almost chanting lately, "Where does the time go?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, don't you just love Maggie Rabbit?! Happy Birthday to your son! Yes, more snow here for days and days. Being my first winter in Colorado, I have had no idea what to expect. A local resident told me this last week, "Oh, we don't get spring until June." What?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your littlies :). Love the cake, my eldest would love one like that......

    Hope your melting and mud turns into something more solid that your littlies can enjoy playing in without creating mountains of washing!

    Those buttons look delightful as is the wee rabbit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love having puttering days...or as we call them over her, "pottering." Oh happy birthday to number 4, he's a very handsome young man. I love the cake. Oh and to number 6 too, she's a sweetie. I hope that you find time to make yourself some nice things too. I'm a big fan of linen, there are some great Japanese pattern books about with nice tunics etc. Enjoy the changing season.
    debx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...