Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

May 21, 2014

Knitting and Posies





In spite of the gloomy, grey days we are having here in our corner, the flowers continue to bloom, spattering the landscape with breathtaking color.  I love the palette of purples and yellows against the lush green that is so prevalent in late May and early June, and I'm so looking forward to the lilac blossoms that will permeate our yard with their intoxicating fragrance in a few weeks.

With the rain, I still haven't had much opportunity for gardening, so I decided to pick my knitting up again. I had been working on a Little Bud's sweater for Little #9 with hopes that she would be wearing it by now, but about a month ago my finger unfortunately found itself slammed in the car door.  It is slowly coming back into commission, and I think it could actually handle knitting again.  I picked the sweater up only to realize that the button holes were on the wrong side...somehow I mixed up the right and wrong sides.  I keep going back and forth...do I frog?  Do I keep going?  One part of me says to keep going, who cares if it buttons up on wrong side; but the other part of me argues that if I'm going to put so much time and effort into making something special, then it needs to be pulled out and started over, making sure the buttons holes are on the correct side. Even if I kept going, its recipient probably wouldn't be able to wear until fall anyway, so frogging (as much as I hate to) is probably what I will do. What would you do?  I do love the color of this sweater, Lupine in Lark from Quince and Co.  I chose it with the blooms of this time of year in mind.

Of course, with cold, rainy days comes the desire to snuggle in bed early with a cup of tea, a warm quilt, and a good book.  I am currently reading The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. When finished I am looking forward to moving on to American Bloomsbury...a look into the lives and interactions of the famous New England authors, Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Henry David Thoreau.  I have heard and read mixed reviews about this book, but I have decided to give it a try. Being from New England, the lives of these authors have always intrigued me.

What are you currently reading and/or knitting?

The Flowers
By Robert Louis Stevenson

All the names I know from nurse:
Gardener's garters, Shepherd's purse,
Bachelor's buttons, Lady's smock,
And the Lady Hollyhock.

Fairy places, fairy things,
Fairy woods where the wild bee wings,
Tiny trees for tiny dames--
These must all be fairy names!

Tiny woods below whose boughs
Shady fairies weave a house;
Tiny tree-tops, rose or thyme,
Where the braver fairies climb!

Fair are grown-up people's trees,
But the fairest woods are these;
Where, if I were not so tall,

I should live for good and all.


*Thanks to my daughter for her help with the photography.*

Linking with Ginny today.






12 comments:

  1. OOOWWWWWWWW! Your poor finger! Can you stitch the buttonholes closed when you sew the buttons on? I'm still working on overcoming my perfectionism in these types of situations - frogging all that work, ugh! But I completely sympathize with wanting it to be as perfect and lovely as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little sweetie posing for you in her gorgeous dress. I love her little red shoes too. I don't think that you should unpick the sweater it looks so lovely and I think that the buttons on the wrong side make it extra special. I haven't read work by all the New England authors but love some of them, so find your next book sounds intriguing.
    Enjoy your snuggly days.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really re-thinking frogging...thanks for helping me to see it differently.

      Delete
  3. Not being a knitter, I don't know what frogging is. I have a boiled jacket with frog closures. Is that your meaning of frog?
    Your little bit is so cute in her new dress and her shiny red shoes.
    Enjoy your cool, rainy spring. We are already having 100 degree days here in Phoenix with no rain until probably mid-summer, but it is beautiful here in the desert. Enjoy what you are blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frogging is undoing your knitting, or ripping the stitches out. :)

      Delete
    2. My best childhood friend now lives in Arizona, and she has been lamenting the fact that it is already so hot there. I do hope you get some relief from the heat this summer...even if it's for a day.

      Thanks, sustainablemum, for clarifying about the frogging...I should have explained it in my post, especially since only a year ago I didn't know what frogging was myself.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't frog it. I looked into buttonholes and buttons and their placement when making something a while ago as I was intrigued as to why they were different. There is no one explanation as to why but it is thought that women's are different as those of means would have had someone to dress them and the buttons were moved to make this easier for them. Those who couldn't afford such luxury were all the same, as men's are now. It seems that this has become the norm on all garments for females.

    Personally I can't tell the difference but I am hopeless at left and right and have ended up with garments with buttons on both sides, if that makes sense! I also have a boy and a girl and if I make something they are both going to end up wearing for one of them the buttons will be on the 'wrong' side.

    I love your photos and the dress has turned out beautifully. I love the red shoes, I would like a pair for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know the history about buttons and button holes...I've always wondered why men's and women's clothing closed on different sides. It makes complete sense that it would have been for the ease of those dressing the women of luxury. Thanks for sharing that bit of information. If the sweater I was making was more gender neutral, I wouldn't have given it another thought, knowing that my youngest son would be wearing it next. I'm definitely going to re-think frogging. After reading your comment and Debby's, I feel much better about letting it go. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful, peaceful post. I love it! And I understand your desire to frog, however, I am trying to allow myself to let the little things go (not easy for me!). The sweater is so beautiful as it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've knitted so much of it already, I would not start over. Little babes do not care about such adult things anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. American Bloomsbury sounds interesting, I'll be interested to hear what you think when you've read it.

    I've realised, looking at all the sweet clothes you've been making, that I miss having little ones to dress in Mama mades. And re. the buttons, I think I'd only frog it if I knew it was going to bug me every time I saw it, because I feel sure its wearer won't mind which side they're on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't frog it, it looks great to me, and after all that effort and time you've put into it... I adore that yellow shade of the dress your little one is wearing, and you've tied it in beautifully with the yellows and purples in the photos. I am reading Donna Leon (crime fiction set in Venice - excellent) and crocheting a cowl which is silly really, as summer is coming. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...