Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

May 23, 2013

Thrifted Treasures

I'm excited to share with you my latest thrifted goodies.  Isn't it grand fun to find treasure amongst junk? 

I can't even begin to explain my excitement when I saw this wooden bowl sitting on the shelf at our local Goodwill; I snatched it quickly, thinking someone else was lurking, waiting to grab it first.  I very slowly turned it over to see the price...our Goodwill has a way of marking more valuable things through the roof.  They once were asking $50 for a set of stainless steel bowls...yes, they were probably well worth the price, but, really???  It's Goodwill.  It's a thrift store.  They were used.  Okay, so I was a little afraid the price of this wooden bowl, which was clearly handmade and very old, would be priced way over my measly, thrifting budget.




 Will you believe me when I say it was only $4.99???  I couldn't believe it...$4.99!!!  I have seen and drooled over similar bowls in antique stores that cost hundreds of dollars;  I couldn't believe I actually was going to be the proud owner of this delightful wooden bowl.  I handed it to my son, who was sitting in his stroller, and told him he had to guard it with his life...he took his job very seriously.
 I think it looks quite nice in it's new home.  What do you think?

My next item is this cute little set of bowls...I found them in a local thrift store, which is much more fair with their pricing.  You do have to look a little harder for hidden treasure there, but when you find it, what excitement!

I have no idea what the value of the bowls really is, and it really doesn't matter.   I love them. They were made in Italy, and they have that glorious crackling that tells of years gone by. The fluted sides go nicely with my fluted ironstone tea cups and saucers that I picked up a few months ago, and the yellow trim on the inside...don't you just love it?!?
The most amazing thing... I paid only $.25 a piece!  Yes, only $.50 for this sweet little set of bowls.  I couldn't wait to come home and proudly display them in my kitchen.
This pretty, pedestaled, white bowl was too cute to pass up for $1.99.  It looks like milk glass...not sure it is, though.  Doesn't it make a perfect home for my lemons?

Thanks for stopping by.  I can't wait to show you more thrifted goodies next week.  I'm off to finish my coffee and endure another cold, rainy, May day in New England.








5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love thrift shopping. In France, the equivalent of the Goodwill is called Emmaüs and they do a legendary yearly "edited" sale in Paris, where they sell the best of their donations, that people line up for hours to get into.

    I've never been to that one but I did go to the one our local branch in the Loire Valley did and there were all sorts of cute French antiques for a steal!!

    xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what I wouldn't do for the chance to do some thrifting in France!

      Delete
  2. I must find another goodwill to shop. The one in my town would have these items at much higher prices. You really got some great deals and most especially on that wooden bowl
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bowl! What a great find!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found u via thrifty Thursday link party at living well spending less. I luv all your finds!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...