Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

June 6, 2013

Thrifted Treasures #3


 This is probably one of my favorite thrift store finds of all times!  I know, you are probably looking at this banged-up wooden box, which has seen better days, thinking, "Mmmmm...okay?  What is so special about that?"  I thought the same thing when I saw it sitting in the window of the Goodwill.  Our Goodwill likes to display the "better quality" items in their window, and I was interested enough to check it out.  I asked the cashier if I could have a peek at it.  The price on the tag was $19.99, and I almost handed the box back without further inspection, but I didn't.  I just had to answer to my curiosity and find out what was so special about this old, wooden box.  I opened the lid, and I could barely contain my excitement when I saw its contents...
...a sparkling set of Rogers Silverware, extra plate! 

I then discovered the little drawer and found MORE silverware...three tiers of beautiful Rogers Flatware!  
 The drawer acted as an overflow...it had a few extra pieces of the main set and some miscellaneous pieces from other sets.
Over the years, I have slowly replaced my stainless flatware with silver (well, silver-plated) pieces.  Eating with silver (even if it is only plated) makes a mundane meal seem so much more...elegant. Our everyday flatware is a collection of various patterns; and, although I love my mismatched set, I was always a bit envious of my friend's matching silver passed down from her grandmother. You can't imagine how ecstatic I was to find this charming set for only twenty dollars.
I'm stashing it away, saving it for special occasions.  Someday when my Littles aren't so little, I may use it as our everyday flatware...someday.  For now, I am happy using it for special occasions.
Isn't is beautiful?!?!?  When I find the extra time, I would like to research the pattern...it's name, when it was manufactured, etc...


Here's one more cute little treasure.  I couldn't pass it up for $.99.
 Isn't it darling?!?  I love the vintage, blue-green color on the inside and the delicate flower painted on the front (a Bachelor's Button, maybe).
Thank-you so much for stopping by my little corner.  I so enjoy sharing my second hand  treasures with you; it's fun knowing there are others who appreciate the thrill of thrift shopping as much as I do.  Have a great night!

Linked with A Glimpse InsideSeven AliveTwo Yellow Birds Decor52 MantelsBecoming MarthaChic on a ShoestringDesign, Dining + DiapersFinding Fabulous

10 comments:

  1. SCORE at the THRIFT STORE!!! I just scored an wonderful le creuset pan from Goodwill's online auction site. I really like the idea of actually using that beautiful silver. I have my mom's silver; but see odd's and ends at the thrift stores all the time. I will have to research if I can put it in the dishwasher. After 17 years of marriage and 3 kids all the spoons from our everyday flatware are GONE! Clicking to follow.. happy Friday! xoxo jules from bles-id.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, great score on the le creuset pan...I would love to find one. I'v never shopped Goodwill online, but I just might have to check it out. :)
      I put our "everyday" silver in the dishwasher...I know I shouldn't, but it doesn't seem to hurt it much. After a few months, it does start to get cloudy and flat looking, but it's nothing a little polishing doesn't fix. I would encourage you to start picking up those odds and ends that you see.
      Thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful finds! Wow, what a nice surprise, I don't think I would have opened the box! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My curiosity gets the best of me sometimes...this time it paid off.;) Thanks for your comment, Veronica.

      Delete
  3. Wow you found some GREAT finds...and what a surprise! Thanks for sharing at the Project Stash last week. Don't forget to come back tonight and link up your "stash" projects to inspire us again this week. Party opens at 8:00 pm EST.

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic find at the thrift shop! How super cool about the drawer and the extra pieces, too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you found some GREAT finds...and what a surprise! Beautiful finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SCORE at the THRIFT STORE!!! I just scored an wonderful le creuset pan from Goodwill's online auction site

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...