Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

July 2, 2014

The Small Things











I have been writing this post since Monday morning, but I simply have not found the time to actually finish it. After enjoying a weekend of puttering, something I genuinely enjoy, even more than planned outings or events, I'm back on my toes, managing the comings and goings of this ever-moving household.

Friday evening Hubby and I enjoyed dinner and a play with a few friends, something we rarely get to do. What a luxury to sit for two hours, surrounded by a beautiful bank of windows overlooking the lake, while being served a delightful meal and then finally leaving the dishes to walk a few hundred yards to the theater where we are served, yet again, dessert while being wonderfully entertained.  Such a lovely evening.

The rest of the weekend we spent puttering on the farm; Hubby cleaned and organized the barn while I poked around in my gardens, pulling weeds and thinning the radishes.  With a wave of heat that has finally hit our corner, the Littles were rarely found anywhere but in the water.  I gave my flowers in my perennial bed a good soaking and picked all the peonies that were laying their heavy heads on the ground.  I so love having bouquets of flowers spread throughout the house, and Little #1 brought me our first bouquet of black-eyed Susans which I excitedly placed on the new red table I found for free to put on our new porch. The white rose bushes, which began as a tiny shoot from my great grandmother's bush, are covered in blossoms, the most I have ever seen, and such a delicious fragrance is whisked into the air every time someone walks by them.
Sunday was our day of rest. After coming home from church we read, slept, did a bit of knitting on the porch (I did choose to keep going on the Little Bud's sweater after all), ate ice cream, and cooled ourselves in the water.

So far this week, we have picked our first strawberries, ran in our first 5K of the summer,  put up hay for the winter, spent our evenings on the porch, swam until we felt completely water-logged, and fell asleep at night before the bedtime story was even over.  What a great time of year!

Joining Pumpkin Sunrise.

8 comments:

  1. I admire that you ran a 5k :) I could walk maybe!! I've been walking daily until the big humidity and heat hit, now I'm waiting for cooler weather. Love that you had an outing with friends, dinner and a play!! I bet you enjoyed coming home to the little ones as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect. And a grown up evening out? Wow, the stuff of dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like life is good in Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love weekends like this and especially reading this post. I love too that you say puttering across the ocean and that we say pottering..."puttering" somehow sounds much more gentle. Your theatre trip was amazing...you could actually eat and watch the performance. wow...two good things at once. What fantastic blooms. The garden is looking beautiful. I'm admiring the illustration in the book you are reading to the little ones. It looks old. The paragraph summing up your weekend sounds perfect, so much accomplished in two little days.
    I hope the rest of the week continues to be just as fruitful.
    debx
    ps the table was an amazing find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think that "pottering" sounds so much more gentle. ;) The book is Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey, written in 1948. It has always been one of my favorites and reminds me of the days my own mother would take me blueberry picking on "Blueberry Hill".

      Delete
  5. Sal and the blueberries....good reading.
    Have you read One Morning in Maine? There was a guy named Mr.Cogdon, I think, and we had a friend, Mr. Condon, so it was a good book in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberries for Sal and One Morning in Maine were two of my favorite books growing up...still are favorites of mine. :)

      Delete
  6. Those peonies are beautiful - one of my absolute favourite flowers.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...