Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

December 23, 2013

Christmas Eve Nightgowns











I completed my Christmas sewing last week and found myself with a free Sunday afternoon since, once again, church services were cancelled due to inclement weather. Snow, sleet, and freezing rain made the out of doors rather cold and messy, but inside we were warm and toasty. Of course, with a free afternoon, I headed directly to my sewing room to make Christmas Eve nightgowns for our two youngest daughters.  I had originally planned to make them nightgowns for Christmas from a vintage nightgown pattern, but I had gotten so busy with my other projects that I never made the gowns.  The unexpected free afternoon was just what I needed to whip up two nighties. To save time, I skipped the vintage pattern and grabbed my Leila and Ben Sweet Dress pattern...this little peasant style dress works up so quickly.   I made a few alterations so it would work as a nightgown. I cut it a few inches wider to give the gowns some fullness; added a ruffle to the bottom; and lengthened the sleeves a bit, adding a ruffle to them as well.  I also added some berry red embroidery to the sleeves and bottom of the gown. I used an unbleached, cotton flannel that I purchased a few years ago for $2.00 a yard (I bought the whole bolt) and added a red bow for the finishing touch.  I'm really pleased with the way they turned out.  Hopefully I will have some photos of them in action for you later this week.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a wonderful day and a blessed week.

6 comments:

  1. They are very sweet - the red embroidery adds a fun touch. I'm sure your girls will love them. I remember wearing flannel nightgowns all the time as a little girl. Now it is practical fleece pants for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! This would make Christmas morning pictures so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! They may not want to change into clothes! Merry Christmas Lisa@ Sweet Tea' N Salty Air

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't. ;) Since we spent Christmas day home, the girls stayed in their new nighties all day...only changing into new pj's that night. They loved them.
      Thanks for stopping by...I LOVE your title..."Sweet Tea 'N Salty Air"!

      Delete
  4. so very pretty! You are giving me the motivation to pull out those pieces I cut out for my now 21 year old and finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous, and so perfect for Christmas. Clothes are never high on my list of things to sew but these are tempting me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...